G & M Contracts – Construction Company Monaghan

Housing Aid
Grants for
Older People

Beautiful and professional building solutions
Housing Adaptation Grants

Housing Aid Grants for the elderly

Aid for Older People Scheme

The Housing Aid for Older People Scheme is used to improve the condition of an older person’s home. In general, it is aimed at people 66 years of age and older, who are living in poor housing conditions. However, in cases of genuine hardship the local authority may assist people under age 66.


If you have a disability and your home needs to be adapted to make it more accessible, the housing adaption grant for people with a disability or the mobility aids grant scheme may be more suitable for you.

Approval of Works

Local authorities have been instructed that only essential repairs should be undertaken to make the property habitable for the applicant.

Local authorities vary as regards what type of work they will grant aid under the Housing Aid for Older People Scheme. You should check with your own local authority to see which types of work its scheme will cover.

Scope of Works

The type of work that is grant aided can include some or all of the following:

  • Structural repairs or improvements
  • Dry-lining – Provides warmth & prevents moisture
  • Repair or replacement of windows and doors
  • The provision of water, sanitary services and heating
  • Cleaning and painting
  • Re-wiring
  • Any other repair or improvement work considered necessary.
Housing Aid

Many older people may be eligible for the Housing Aid for Older People Scheme. However, priority will be given to people on the basis of financial need.

Who Can Apply?

Who can Apply for the grant?

The grant can be paid to people in:

  • Owner-occupied housing
  • Houses being purchased from a local authority under the Tenant Purchase Scheme.
Priority applicants

Your application will be prioritised based on medical need. Highest priority will be given to people for whom alterations or adaptations would facilitate their discharge from hospital or the continuance of care in their own home.

Occupational therapy report

When the local authority receives your application, it may request an occupational therapist’s (OT) assessment. The local authority can arrange for this, or you can employ an OT yourself and recoup up to €200 of the cost from the local authority as part of the grant, subject to the maximum grant limit that applies in your case.

Means Testing

Means test

Your total household income is assessed to find out if you qualify for the grant and at what level of assistance.

Household income is:

  • The property owner’s (or tenant’s) and their spouse’s or partner’s annual gross income in the previous tax year
  • Income of any other adults living in the household – aged over 23 years (or over 18 and not in full-time education)

The following is not taken into account when calculating your household income:

  • €5,000 for each member of the household aged up to 18 years
  • €5,000 for each member of the household aged between 18 and 23 years and in full-time education or on a SOLAS apprenticeship
  • €5,000 where the person to whom the grant application relates is being cared for by a relative on a full-time basis
  • Child benefit
  • Family income supplement
  • Domiciliary Care Allowance
  • Care Grant
  • Carers Benefit and Carer
  • Allowance (if the carer’s payment is made in respect of the person to whom the grant application relates) 

We will provide a written quotation itemizing the cost
For all grant payments, contractors must provide confirmation of tax clearance.

Information required: applicant

When applying for the grant, you must provide:

  • Your tax reference number
  • Details of your tax district 
  • A statement that, to the best of your knowledge, your tax affairs are in order

You must also provide evidence of ownership of the property and evidence that the Local Property Tax on it has been paid.

Payment of a second grant

It is possible to get a grant under the Housing Aid for Older People Scheme a second time if your needs have substantially changed over time.


The maximum grant available under the Housing Aid for Older People Scheme is €8,000, which may cover 95% of the approved cost of works.

This maximum grant of 95% is available to people with annual household incomes of less than €30,000, tapering to 30% for those with annual household incomes of €50,001 to €60,000.

Note: The maximum amounts may not be fully awarded. Grant amounts are subject to the funding of each local authority so the local authority can decide whether they pay the full grant or a percentage in each case.

Download Grant Forms for Disability Grants

Download Form

Click the button below to download the application form. You can then print the form and submit to your Local Authority. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need assistance in completing the building section.

Satisfied Customers

New House Builders Moanaghan
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top